How to keep your ATU happy in a nutshell:
- Only use your toilet to flush what it was intended to flush.
- Avoid oils, grease and food scraps going into the sink. Use a strainer in the kitchen and dispose of fats in the bin.
- Return unused medicines to the pharmacy.
- Do not flush cotton buds, sanitary wear, baby wipes, paper towels and “flushable” wipes.
- Keep your loo door closed so little people aren’t tempted to see what happens when they flush a toy!
- Use ATU friendly cleaning and bathroom products like Enviroplus to ensure a positive pro-biotic environment in your ATU.
- Refrain from using harsh cleaning chemicals in your household. Use low sodium, low phosphorous or phosphorous-free detergents where possible.
- Look for products with septic system friendly labels.
- Avoid disposing of
- fats and oils
- alcohol (including the dregs of your wine glass!),
- essential oils (in particular, antibacterial oils like eucalyptus, tea tree oil and lavender in pure form)
down the drain.
The Water Corporation of Western Australia provides comprehensive information about your responsibilities as an ATU owner.
Read about keeping your drains happy on the Water Corporation website.